If you love the bold zest of Italian and Mediterranean flavors, this healthy, low carb version of an Italian sub sandwich will really hit the spot. It’s packed with fresh vegetables and delicious cured meats, and they’re all tied together with a tangy, creamy Italian dressing.
The following recipe makes two wraps:
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Mayo
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (soft taco or burrito size)
- 1/2 cup Cheese, grated or crumbled (or slices, and any kind you like); I used a blend of sharp cheddar and Feta this time
- 3-4 Pepperocinis, sliced
- 1/3 cup Mild Peppers (Bell Peppers or Mini Sweet Peppers), thin strips cut in half
- 2 White or Red Onion Slices, cut in half
- 1/3 cup English Cucumber, thinly sliced and cut in half
- 6 slices Roma Tomato
- 1-2 tbsp Black Olives, sliced
- Yellow Mustard
- 16 slices Pepperoni
- 10 slices Salami
- 1 1/2 cups Lettuce or Salad Greens of your choice
Note: Other Italian-style meats are absolutely mouthwatering in this wrap, so by all means, swap out the pepperoni and/or salami. To lower the animal fats, carved ham would be a great choice. Also, this wrap can become more upscale with specialty Italian deli meats like artisan salami and prosciutto.
Stir together the mayo, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper to make the creamy Italian dressing and set aside. Layer half the ingredients on each tortilla in the following order, then wrap it up! Cheese, veggies (pepperocinis, peppers, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and olives), creamy Italian dressing and yellow mustard, pepperoni and salami, and finally, Lettuce. Serve and enjoy!