Nothing compliments bold Asian flavors like crisp green vegetables and fresh herbs. These delicious pot stickers, or gyoza, are an explosion of savory, spicy, sweet and rich flavors along with soft and crispy textures all in one. I know you’ll enjoy my latest recipe creation, inspired by my signature healthy, low carb, refreshing Asian Salad (recipe coming soon!).
Yields 22-24 pot stickers or gyoza
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped carrots (cutting matchstick carrots lengthwise into tiny squares works nicely and saves effort)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced mint leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
Wrapper and Cooking Ingredients
- 22-24 round won ton wrappers (find these in the refrigerated section of your grocer’s produce department)
- 2/3 cup water; a few tablespoons for sealing wrappers and 1/2 cup for cooking
- 4 tbsp peanut oil
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chile sauce (Siracha works well, but use something spicier if you enjoy more heat!)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Combine all pot sticker or gyoza filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, and mix well (by hand is best!). Place 3 to 4 won ton wrappers out at a time, on a non-stick surface like wax paper. Keep all remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel to avoid drying out. Place one heaping teaspoon of filling mixture in the center of each wrapper. Dip a pointer fingertip in water and run it along half the edge of each wrapper. Fold each in half, around the filling, and firmly press the water edge against the dry edge, pinching firmly to create a solid seal. Set aside and continue until all pot stickers are complete. Keep all sealed pot stickers covered by a damp paper towel until cook time, to avoid them drying out and cracking open.
In a large, deep fry pan, heat 4 tbsp peanut oil over medium heat. Add all pot stickers, lightly brown on one side and flip. When lightly brown on second side, add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook for about six minutes (This steams the pot stickers, cooking the meat and veggies inside!). Uncover and allow liquid to evaporate. Flip pot stickers periodically until crispy and deep golden brown on both sides. While the pot stickers brown, combine dipping sauce ingredients and whisk together with a fork. Serve browned pot stickers or gyoza with dipping sauce and enjoy!